Discouraging moles from my yard?

A forum to learn and discuss the importance of lawn care basics
bigbearbear
Grass Type: Cool season, mostly Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Discouraging moles from my yard?

Post by bigbearbear » September 7th, 2020, 4:37 pm

I have moles in my yard and I've been dealing with them with traps, however, as I'm bordering some wild land with what looked to be a lot of moles, it seems that every time I've deal with the mole in my yard, additional ones will move in.

My yard seems to have a lot of bugs and earthworms which I think is why moles think my yard is their version of Hometown Buffet. I want to ask if it is possible for me to reduce the amount of bugs and earthworms by spraying a high concentration of carbaryl based Sevin pesticide in the yard? I know earthworms are beneficial but they're attracting moles which are a nuisance to deal with.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Discouraging moles from my yard?

Post by MorpheusPA » September 7th, 2020, 8:59 pm

Theoretically? Yes, but it'll also take out most other helpful insects and cause a massive collapse of the natural microherd in your soil.

This is not a good idea. And it's also not assured to get rid of said moles.

There are some repellents made, including Liquid Fence (which gets so-so reviews) and Tomcat (which gets great reviews). The Tomcat one is made of a combination castor oil/surfactant mix which I've made myself from the individual components (much cheaper) at home and used myself. Regular reapplication is required, but it does work for the simple reason that moles can't stand wet fur. Castor oil soaks the fur...if it penetrates by using a surfactant (without it, it won't).

The other options include traps and poison. These might be problematic if you have animals or young children yourself.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » September 7th, 2020, 11:31 pm

There's also a thing that you drive into the ground that has a solar panel and it sends vibrations through the ground. It's supposed to drive off moles and voles. I had voles. Poison worked better, but I'm keeping the noise thing to see if it might help keep them at bay in the future.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » September 8th, 2020, 7:49 am

I haven't had problems with moles, but I have issues with late-season voles eating hosta roots, and the formula that I use has many internet comments that it is quite effective on moles too. My version/formula is a homemade mix of Castor Oil and Dawn dishwashing detergent (try not to use the antibacterial versions).

The approach is similar to this article: Evicting Moles from Yard, but I don't use the vegetable-based soap but Dawn detergent. Note: the headline of the linked article says "killing moles", but it doesn't kill them - it repels them to go elsewhere. It has to be repeated periodically as they will come back after the mixture breaks down in the soil.

Your profile doesn't indicate the yard size, but Amazon has quarts and gallons of the Castor Oil. There is no need to get all fancy with refined Castor Oil, just make sure the stuff is not a mix of Castor Oil and other stuff. Some people try going double-strength, but I haven't found it necessary.

Search Amazon with the search string "castor oil moles".

mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF

Post by mobiledynamics » September 21st, 2020, 10:14 am

Off to read up on Castor Oil. What effect does it have on the turf ?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » September 21st, 2020, 12:42 pm

None really, unless you drown the turf with it.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » September 21st, 2020, 2:56 pm

Even then, none as the price to do that would be prohibitive. :-) Eventually, it decays into food just like anything else, too.

I gotta say, though, the price for castor on Amazon stinks. Try Soaper's Choice: https://www.soaperschoice.com/base-oils/

$19 per gallon, although there is a shipping charge.

mobiledynamics

Post by mobiledynamics » September 21st, 2020, 4:07 pm

I've got a few observed tunneling...just for the helluva it, took a shovel to see what I was working with....
Kinda wanna say feels like a 1 inch diameter. Maybe it's a mini-me vole I've got going on, but he is sure going to town..

mobiledynamics

Post by mobiledynamics » October 12th, 2020, 3:07 pm

MPA -
Just visited the link in the recent response as I was out and needed more.
SC doesn't carry it, but if you're in the know....

good/great place to buy Food Grade Citric acid in a bulk 40/50 lb containers/bag. Just looking for other recommendations.
My usual spot would be chemistrystore. com