Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Winter/Spring Pre/Post Emer Plan

Post by TheStig335 » September 13th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Hey Everyone,

I am currently in the middle of my first lawn renovation - link is here

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25935

With my lawn renovation, I had my original yard stripped of its clayish topsoil and brought in about 90 ton of new topsoil. My new seed is coming up well and the starter fertilizer I put down had Meso in it to help with what weed seeds were starting to germinate early on that came with said new topsoil, but I am seeing it is now starting to wear off in its potency. With that, I am trying to be proactive in my approach to keeping my yard as pure as possible and am somewhat inexperienced in how to approach this. I read up on the triangle approach, but I feel like this is different since I currently don't really have any weeds and am trying to prevent whatever surprises are contained in my soil.

I currently have some Tenacity I was planning on applying after the 6 weeks that was stated on my lawn starter fertilizer as the effective timeframe of the Meso, but I am thinking I should hit my yard again here soon to not let anything have a second chance?

Any advice on what my best approach should be entering the winter and the start of spring would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Advanced

Re: Winter/Spring Pre/Post Emer Plan

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » October 22nd, 2020, 1:50 pm

It would seem like you missed the window to treat the soil and get rid of the weeds. The way you do that is to receive the new soil, water it daily for a week to sprout any weed seeds there are, spray those weeds with Round Up, continue watering daily for another week, and spray any new weeds with Round Up. After that the seed could be put down with minimal chance of new weeds coming in with the grass.
In the spring avoid the temptation to fertilize early. The time to fertilize is late May. However, the time to kill weeds is in mid April. For broadleaf weeds you could use something like Weed-b-Gon or Weed-g-Gon Chickweed, Clover, and Oxalis Killer. For grassy weeds, someone else will have to help you. There are a very few selective grass killers, and I'm not familiar enough with them to help you.