Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
GiantsFan87
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

New Home Owner Renovationn

Post by GiantsFan87 » September 15th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Good Evening,

I recently moved into a home in March 2020 in Central VA, and currently have a yard full of weeds. I recently took my soil test for both front and back yard and I would be needing to raise my pH (6.3 Front, 5.8 Back) along with getting more NPK (low). I'm currently cutting the lawn just to keep it presentable even though its majority weeds (crabgrass, wild violet, henbit etc.) My plan is to lime now, re test soil in the spring to see if the pH raised, control weeds in the spring and summer for a lawn renovation for the front and back yard next fall 2021, which is about 5,100 sf in total. There is a local business which sells topsoil/compost mix good for seeding ( I have a few bumpiness in the backyard, which I want to make smooth for mowing), Premium TTTF seed with 0.00% weed seed, that I plan on using in the fall as well next year.

Am I on the right track? or is renovating both my front and back yard too much do to at one time next fall?

Thanks!

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: New Home Owner Renovationn

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 15th, 2020, 9:22 pm

Welcome to the Around The Yard forums! Congratulations also on the new home!

It generally sounds like you have a good plan. For the soil test in the spring, if you would like to have recommendations from the gurus here, follow the instructions in the pinned thread for Posting A Soil Test for Interpretation in the Soil management and compost forum. In particular, you'll need to get the sample processed at Logan Labs.

For weed control, I'd suggest reading the article on The Triangle Approach. Right now would actually be a good time to start on a "Level 1" treatment in Virginia.

If you're going to add topsoil/compost for leveling purposes next year, I'd suggest getting and spreading that a couple months prior to seeding, so that you can re-level it as it settles, and also have time for any weed seeds in it to germinate before your seed-down time. (Search the forums for threads on "fallowing.")

Renovating 5,100sqft is quite doable, particularly if you have an irrigation system. Do you have an irrigation system? If not, what is your watering plan?

Another complicating factor for renovating all of your lawn at once is if you have any "lawn needs" that make it necessary to have at least some grass all the time, like a pet that absolutely needs the lawn or young kids that just need to get to the swingset?

GiantsFan87
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

Re: New Home Owner Renovationn

Post by GiantsFan87 » September 15th, 2020, 10:11 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 9:22 pm
Welcome to the Around The Yard forums! Congratulations also on the new home!

It generally sounds like you have a good plan. For the soil test in the spring, if you would like to have recommendations from the gurus here, follow the instructions in the pinned thread for Posting A Soil Test for Interpretation in the Soil management and compost forum. In particular, you'll need to get the sample processed at Logan Labs.

For weed control, I'd suggest reading the article on The Triangle Approach. Right now would actually be a good time to start on a "Level 1" treatment in Virginia.

If you're going to add topsoil/compost for leveling purposes next year, I'd suggest getting and spreading that a couple months prior to seeding, so that you can re-level it as it settles, and also have time for any weed seeds in it to germinate before your seed-down time. (Search the forums for threads on "fallowing.")

Renovating 5,100sqft is quite doable, particularly if you have an irrigation system. Do you have an irrigation system? If not, what is your watering plan?

Another complicating factor for renovating all of your lawn at once is if you have any "lawn needs" that make it necessary to have at least some grass all the time, like a pet that absolutely needs the lawn or young kids that just need to get to the swingset?
Thanks for the response! I am going to print that article to give it a read in the morning, thanks!
I don't have an underground irrigation system, but I did purchase 4 Orbit Gear Drive Sprinklers for use of the front and back yard (I think that should get good coverage with 2 on each yard, if not I'll add another). Along with an Orbit 4 Output Port Digital Hose End Water Timer.
You are right about lawn needs,I never thought about that. I do have a dog that likes to take care of business in the backyard. I do have an alternate area a few blocks down where I can take her if I do decide on renovating both yards. I just can't stand the site of the yard now lol thats why I'm willing to do both, but I might change my mind.