Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
daimbert
Grass Type: Hogan Blend TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

TTTF Seed recommendation Long Island NY

Post by daimbert » September 12th, 2020, 11:01 am

Hello everyone,

I have a TTTF lawn, front and back, using Hogan blend. I typically every year buy a 10lbs bag to overseed and reseed those sections that didn't survive the summer. Money is a little tight this year and I don't want to wait a week to seed this year. Does anyone know where I might get a good TTTF blend here in Long Island?

Thank you.

LongIslander
Grass Type: TTTF

Re: TTTF Seed recommendation Long Island NY

Post by LongIslander » September 13th, 2020, 10:09 am

I’d give Hicks Nursery a call. They should be able to make a recommendation.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 13th, 2020, 10:39 am

If you're looking for the kind of selection that you'd get from Hogan, and not the commercial big-box varieties you'd get at the big-box stores, I'd try buying/calling the people at DeLea Sod Farms on LI. You're going to pay more (closer to full retail) than Hogan, but if time trumps cost for you, they're the supplier of tons of sod to big box, sports fields, etc on Long Island. It's very late in the grass season (October- September is the Grass-seed year), but that's the best I know out your way.

mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF

Post by mobiledynamics » September 13th, 2020, 10:43 am

Daimbert - haven't been to hicks this year at all, but if I recall, they just had box store brands and - maybe- delea. not sure if I'll be passing through again, but I have about 3 lbs of Hogans Blend left from my hellstrip overseed this fall - i think-. Not sure if you would want to mix the box brand with your premium cultivar patch already. How thin is the turf ?

mvftw
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Post by mvftw » September 13th, 2020, 9:09 pm

I was in Hicks today to buy perennial flowers and wanted to ask about TTTF and forgot... :banghead:

daimbert
Grass Type: Hogan Blend TTTF

Post by daimbert » September 20th, 2020, 9:02 am

Sorry I haven't gotten back. Just welcomed the birth of my daughter. From what I see, there are some bad patches caused by sod worm, even though I put some preventer in mid-June. These areas are not thin spots but bare spots. Ideally I wouldn't want to mix of course and I agree with Andy of it being late. What do you all think I should do? Throw down some pre for the spring and leave those spots until the spring when I can get some Hoganblen or should I do something now?

You advice much appreciated.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 20th, 2020, 10:06 am

Congrats on the new Family member!

The clock continues to tick - each day now is one less to the end of growth. You're really past the point where Pre-M is going to have an effect on Poa Annua control, but anything is better than doing nothing. And seeding now is also pretty late.

We can't tell you what to do - you've got a new child pulling at your time, and it's late on everything. You have to decide what you're willing to take a chance on...

starpartyguy
Grass Type: tall fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Post by starpartyguy » September 22nd, 2020, 10:25 am

I used Hancock Seed last year and was very pleased. Put down 35 lbs to cover roughly 4000 sq. feet of dead lawn with enough left over to overseed another 2k of the front and back areas. Came up in 10 days and was mowing in another week. Of course, I watered 3x a day with 8 sprinklers around lawn. Cost me $150 in water over 4 weeks. But it's looking really good now.