Sprayer options for large hilly yard

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Sprayer options for large hilly yard

Post by edslawn » September 20th, 2020, 10:17 am

I am looking for a better solution for applying liquids to the lawn, i.e. serenade, prodiamine, etc. My current options are a 4-gallon backpack or a 25 gallon ATV sprayer mounted on my garden tractor. The property is 2 acres and my grass area is about 20k with the rest wooded with mature hardwoods (lots of OM).

(tank sprayer: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... om-atv2503)

The issue is that the property is very hilly, so the 4-gallon backpack is heavy and a lot of work walking the hills (especially as I get older). The 25 gallon on the tractor is great when full but quickly gets dicey when the liquid levels drop and it starts sloshing around. I have learned to use different patterns when applying to help with the big sprayer, but it is not ideal. I've imagined some sort pressurized rig that may feed the liquids better or a tall skinny tank that flows better to the end.

Any better ideas for a better option?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Sprayer options for large hilly yard

Post by andy10917 » September 20th, 2020, 10:49 am

I have a very similar situation on a 1+ acre lawn. I haven't figured out anything that works in all situations - and there are also safety issues about the use of tractors on the stronger slopes. I've just stuck with the backpack for things that need careful dosing, and use the tractor in flatter, more open areas. I live with the extra work it takes.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » September 22nd, 2020, 9:17 pm

This summer I tackled a nearly 13k reno with just a 4 gallon backpack sprayer. I’m with you on this one, it’s rough. I’ve looked at the Earthway S25 just for the convenience of pushing and having 6 gallons rather than Hand pumping the entire time I’m walking around. It’s not a one size fits all. Have you looked at larger pull behind sprayers? I’ve also checked this out:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200645939

edslawn

Post by edslawn » September 23rd, 2020, 8:30 am

DevilDawg81 wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 9:17 pm
This summer I tackled a nearly 13k reno with just a 4 gallon backpack sprayer. I’m with you on this one, it’s rough. I’ve looked at the Earthway S25 just for the convenience of pushing and having 6 gallons rather than Hand pumping the entire time I’m walking around. It’s not a one size fits all. Have you looked at larger pull behind sprayers? I’ve also checked this out:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200645939
The problem is that these sprayers have a liquid feed tube in the tank that sometimes sucks air when the tank level drops and I am on hilly sections. I go through all sorts of amusing driving patterns to keep the tube immersed in the solution. I end up adding water and simply making many passes until the solution is so diluted that I feel like the application is essentially complete. Unfortunately, this wastes time and probably causes inconsistencies in the application.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » September 23rd, 2020, 5:16 pm

I totally get it, that is quite tricky. I don’t have a good answer for you.

edslawn

Post by edslawn » September 23rd, 2020, 7:42 pm

Time to build one! I'm imagining a tall skinny tank with a recirculator.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG

Post by Masbustelo » September 24th, 2020, 6:13 am

Can the Earthway sprayer be modified with pneumatic tires? Also the handles look flimsy. Does anyone have one that can comment? I've got the same hill problems.

edslawn

Post by edslawn » September 24th, 2020, 7:47 am

Masbustelo wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 6:13 am
Can the Earthway sprayer be modified with pneumatic tires? Also the handles look flimsy. Does anyone have one that can comment? I've got the same hill problems.
It's not a bad idea, but this is really poorly rated on Amazon and I'd really prefer a mountable unit for my tractor. We need something with a reliable pump and a reservoir at the bottom that stays full to feed the sprayers reliably on hills.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 24th, 2020, 7:47 am

Masbustelo wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 6:13 am
Which Earthway sprayer are you asking about? I have the Earthway S25 , which I purchased used from Craigslist, and I am generally happy with it, although I don't find it to be perfect. However, the handles definitely aren't flimsy.

Interestingly, I just tried to find the S25 on the Earthway web site and am having some trouble finding it. I wonder if it has been discontinued or something?

Pway

Post by Pway » September 24th, 2020, 4:18 pm

I had the S25 and had to replace the pump twice. I gave up on it and bought the My4Sons backpack sprayer, which I like much better.