Please help on drop spreader settings and TTTF

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
s1mpl3k1d
Grass Type: KGB Emblem, Midnight II entire lawn
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Please help on drop spreader settings and TTTF

Post by s1mpl3k1d » September 26th, 2020, 7:28 pm

I've been searching the web for settings to use on TTTF seeds and Scotts Accugreen 2000 drop spreader but I'm having hard time finding it. Recommended application is 8 lbs/1,000 sqft.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Please help on drop spreader settings and TTTF

Post by northeastlawn » September 26th, 2020, 8:16 pm

How big is your lawn?

I have to be honest, spreader settings are kind of trial and error. Measure your area, weight your product, then start with a low setting and gradually increase it until you use the all the product you measured our. That works great with granular fertilizer and things you spread out multiple times a year, you gradually get to know the settings.

With grass seed you don't get the chance to keep fine tuning your setting with multiple settings. You could measure out 1,000sf, then set a setting that would put a small amount out. I personally prefer to use the Scott wizz spreader for seeding. I find the grass type on Scott’s website and go a few spots lower. Then just slowly put it out. I find the Scott wizz spreader gives me more control, and as long as I weighed out the amount of seed needed I don’t over do it. I would never have the control with a normal push spreader.

s1mpl3k1d

Post by s1mpl3k1d » September 26th, 2020, 9:25 pm

I did measure the area today but I haven't calculated it. Thanks a lot!

s1mpl3k1d

Post by s1mpl3k1d » September 28th, 2020, 1:37 am

I completed it. Recommended setting to drop 8 lbs/1000 is 14 on the Accugreen drop spreader. I set it to 4.6. I think I did 5 passes on different directions. LOL! The seeds on ground are very well spaced out. I didn't see a line which is a very good thing.

I'm looking for a TTTF maintenance calendar and I found this. https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/tall-fescu ... e-calendar
A little confused on one of the instructions which is to fertilize it in February. We usually have snow around this month. What will be a good TTTF maintenance for a homeowner who lives in northwest Illinois?

falcon
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by falcon » September 28th, 2020, 7:47 am

I have no idea whether people need to fertilize in February in Raleigh, NC, which is where NC State it. But Raleigh is zone 7b and you are in zone 5a. Dramatically different weather.