Lawn renovation schedule

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
s1mpl3k1d
Grass Type: KGB Emblem, Midnight II entire lawn
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Lawn renovation schedule

Post by s1mpl3k1d » September 28th, 2020, 9:10 pm

Folks, I couldn't recall the other stuff I did back in 2009 when I renovated my lawn. Yesterday and today, I completed the following:
- dropped seeds
- dropped starter fertilizer
- dropped peatmoss
- rolled it

I forgot when to do the next fertilizer application and how much. I still have starter fertilizer left as well as 50 lbs of urea that I haven't opened yet. I do remember that when grass blades reaches 3 inches, it can be mowed.

This is me manually rolling the lawn today. Really thankful for the rain, we got about a little above half inch of rain. I'm pretty sure seed to dirt contact is 99.99%.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Lawn renovation schedule

Post by DevilDawg81 » September 28th, 2020, 9:43 pm

I don’t think you’ll want to hit it with fertilizer until you’re out of sprout and pout. That could be up to 3 weeks (maybe more). Keep that 50 lbs of urea unopened for now 😀

If i remember the threads correctly, you had the area that was dead along with a handful of neighbors. Whatever you can do to keep the seeds you just sowed moist, that’s key. You’re wanting your turf to get rooted in prior to winter and the clock is ticking. Don’t force the top growth with fertilizer, it’ll negate what you’re looking to do long term.

s1mpl3k1d

Post by s1mpl3k1d » September 28th, 2020, 10:00 pm

DevilDawg81 wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 9:43 pm
I don’t think you’ll want to hit it with fertilizer until you’re out of sprout and pout. That could be up to 3 weeks (maybe more). Keep that 50 lbs of urea unopened for now 😀

If i remember the threads correctly, you had the area that was dead along with a handful of neighbors. Whatever you can do to keep the seeds you just sowed moist, that’s key. You’re wanting your turf to get rooted in prior to winter and the clock is ticking. Don’t force the top growth with fertilizer, it’ll negate what you’re looking to do long term.
Yep, that's what I'll do. Good thing about this covid, I'm 100% working from home. I can step out every 3-4 hours and moisten the seeds.

Btw, I saw few more neighbors' lawns at the back about 2 backwyard lawns, it's also dead(maybe just dormant). Someone stopped by while I was working on my front lawn reno, he told me that his lawn also turned paperbag color but he's hoping next year, it will come back. I'll take a pic of my kbg backyard tomorrow. It's fugly. There are areas that are bare dirt as well as big area of spurge. Near the house, the area where it gets shade from the crabapple tree is waking up.

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » September 29th, 2020, 6:07 am

Best of luck. That is nice to be home and having the opportunity to keep an eye on things, that’ll certainly help out.

s1mpl3k1d

Post by s1mpl3k1d » September 29th, 2020, 8:00 am

DevilDawg81 wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 6:07 am
Best of luck. That is nice to be home and having the opportunity to keep an eye on things, that’ll certainly help out.
Forgot to ask, what rate should I use in the next fertilizer application, is it a pound per 1,000 sqft every week?

DevilDawg81

Post by DevilDawg81 » September 29th, 2020, 10:43 am

s1mpl3k1d wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 8:00 am
DevilDawg81 wrote:
Forgot to ask, what rate should I use in the next fertilizer application, is it a pound per 1,000 sqft every week?
First, I highly recommend you NOT putting any fertilizer down until after you are out of Sprout and Pout.

I don't know if there's a 'golden rule' rate...I've used .33 lbs per 1,000 sqft and up to .50 lbs per 1,000 sqft of fast release Urea 46-0-0. But only after S&P is over. And you have to water it in immediately which it sounds like you can accomplish fairly easy.

s1mpl3k1d

Post by s1mpl3k1d » September 29th, 2020, 11:09 am

DevilDawg81 wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 10:43 am
s1mpl3k1d wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 8:00 am
DevilDawg81 wrote:
First, I highly recommend you NOT putting any fertilizer down until after you are out of Sprout and Pout.

I don't know if there's a 'golden rule' rate...I've used .33 lbs per 1,000 sqft and up to .50 lbs per 1,000 sqft of fast release Urea 46-0-0. But only after S&P is over. And you have to water it in immediately which it sounds like you can accomplish fairly easy.
Awesome! I also found the schedule that MorpheusPA gave me back in 2009. It's half dose of TB for first month and second month and 3rd month is full dose. However, this was applicable to my August 15 renovation. This time however, like what you wrote and MorpheusPA said, wait until sprout and pout. I did a paper towel test on the tttf seeds I got 3 days ago. It's been 36 hrs now and I'm starting to see it come out. So seeds are good! I also just finished watering the renovated lawn. It's a little chilly so water won't dry out quicly. I'll do another one after 8 hours.