Balancing Watering New Grass and Fungus

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
NotFadeAway77
Grass Type: TTTF, PRG, KBG
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

Balancing Watering New Grass and Fungus

Post by NotFadeAway77 » October 2nd, 2020, 9:44 am

I'm 28 days after germination on my renovation (75% TTTF, 15% PRG, 10% KBG). I was watering 3x per day up until last week as I dropped some new seed to fill in a lot of bare spots and was trying to keep the area moist. However, on Monday I backed off the watering after discovering fungus (red thread and slime mold). I did not irrgate Tuesday and applied DiseaseX at the curative rate along with 0.25lbs of N (46-0-0 urea). We got 0.25" of rain Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. I did not irrigate on Thursday but was going to today (Friday). Weather is in the low 60s today and we're suppossed to get some light rain this afternoon, but only .02" is forecasted.

Should I continue to hold off on running my irrigation? I don't want to back off the watering frequency too quickly but also want balance out the amount of water its getting to let the area dry out.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Balancing Watering New Grass and Fungus

Post by Pway » October 3rd, 2020, 2:31 pm

I’m not an expert but I’d back off the watering and focus on getting the seedlings that germinated well established. The most recent seed may germinate and even if it does it may or may not get established by winter. I agree that balancing water for seed put down at different times can be a challenge. It’s compounded if you are spot seeding and have some established grass in the area too. Good luck!

Smolenski7
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Smolenski7 » October 3rd, 2020, 10:15 pm

I agree with Pway. I would definitely focus in on getting that original seed well established before the first frost and in to winter. That means backing off on the water. The DisaseX has been watered in and should do it job. Fungus at that the 28 +/- day mark isn't exactly unheard of, happens to me all of the time. You should be fine in terms of that. Just back off on the watering so that the roots can dig deep and in the spring those bare spots should fill in a bit. At that point, you can spot seed. Good luck.

NotFadeAway77
Grass Type: TTTF, PRG, KBG
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Novice

Post by NotFadeAway77 » October 6th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Thanks for the help! What's the recommended mowing height and frequency when fungus is present this late in the year? I was planning on mowing weekly at 3", modified from original plan at 2'" every 3 days. Should I hold off spoon-feed N until it clears up?

Smolenski7
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Smolenski7 » October 10th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Mowing height really doesn't matter, just bag the fungus to be safe. N. apps are really up to you. I prefer a starter fert. at this point so that the roots are fed too.