How Bad Have Winter Storms Been Near You?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

How Bad Have Winter Storms Been Near You?

Post by andy10917 » February 15th, 2021, 9:32 am

It seems that no matter where you live, the past and current barrage of winter storms have been pretty tough...

How has it been where you live? Here (50 miles N of NYC) it's been storm after storm - today we're facing one storm in the morning and a different storm tonight into mid-day tomorrow. Yesterday we had 8' - 10' icicles crashing to the ground during the short period of melting that occurred. Tonight's forecast is for another ice storm leaving 1/2" of ice on everything - that's a recipe for lots of power outages.

How about you?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: How Bad Have Winter Storms Been Near You?

Post by turf_toes » February 15th, 2021, 1:40 pm

Same. Snow doesn’t normally stick around long here. But I haven’t seen the lawn in two weeks.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » February 15th, 2021, 4:46 pm

We've finally gotten some snow here. Several storms, but it's been warning up in between so most of the snow had melted off the lawn. Now snow in the mountains and it's been sticking, but the easy the storms have happened, it caused sort of a layering effect, so avalanche risk is really high.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » February 15th, 2021, 5:15 pm

Modest. We got that one major storm that's still on the ground, but everything else has been nuisance storms of a dusting to a couple inches. Tonight's ice storm is expected to be horrible, however, with up to an inch of ice. We'll see; temperatures are going to hover right around freezing.

The lawns have been under cover for two weeks now, and I expect to see them again in late March.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » February 19th, 2021, 11:58 pm

Pretty much the same as Morpheus. The Susquehanna Valley is protecting us like usual...but many have it much worse.

RyobiRoshi
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by RyobiRoshi » February 20th, 2021, 2:53 pm

andy10917 wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 9:32 am
It seems that no matter where you live, the past and current barrage of winter storms have been pretty tough...

How has it been where you live? Here (50 miles N of NYC) it's been storm after storm - today we're facing one storm in the morning and a different storm tonight into mid-day tomorrow. Yesterday we had 8' - 10' icicles crashing to the ground during the short period of melting that occurred. Tonight's forecast is for another ice storm leaving 1/2" of ice on everything - that's a recipe for lots of power outages.

How about you?
Its probably the worst winter Ive seen here in Ohio since I moved here 8 years ago. January was pretty warm but February has been cold and with quite a lot of snow for us. It seems like Ive had to shovel several times per week.
I used to live in Wisconsin and the past month has been much like a Wisconsin winter. The only difference is that when I lived in Wisconsin, I had a wonderful snowblower, whereas here I have to shovel.
Needless to say, they are calling for a warmup with temps into the 30s and 40s starting tomorrow and I cant wait. Im ready for spring and getting back to work on the yard.