Who's vaccinated?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Who's vaccinated?

Post by bpgreen » March 19th, 2021, 1:30 am

I got my first shot today.

Drive thorough at a converted convention center. I didn't even have to leave my car. The longest part was sitting in the parking lot for 15 minutes.

Made my appointment for the second shot shortly after I got home.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Who's vaccinated?

Post by MorpheusPA » March 19th, 2021, 1:44 am

Welcome to Pennsylvania, which has no organization whatsoever on these things. It's estimated that I might be able to get mine in May. Or June. Maybe. Try calling us back. Oh, a health issue? Oh, you should have said something...oh, no, still May, or June. Maybe. Try calling us back, I think. Let me talk to Susan here for a second...no, she says that sounds about right but she hasn't heard anything yet.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » March 19th, 2021, 2:23 am

Ugh.

Utah seems to be doing a surprisingly good job at administering the vaccine.

My daughter has opened a few tabs that she'll start refreshing on a regular basis (she's supposedly eligible 3/24). As the state mentioned, eligibility doesn't mean availability.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » March 19th, 2021, 8:12 am

I got my first shot on January 22nd at a county government center building in White Plains, NY and while they were still learning how to handle the crowds, it went surprisingly well. By the time of my second shot on February 12th, it was a well-oiled machine and we moved through the process as fast as we could walk. I had no side-effects from the first shot at all, and just a few hours of off-and-on chills from the second shot. My wife had 12 hrs of feeling somewhat beaten-up/achy from the second shot.

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by pristinegreen75 » March 19th, 2021, 2:32 pm

I got my first shot March 8. getting the second April 9. It was crazy here in jersey when they first opened. couldn't get anything online or calling sights in person.. I finally signed up with the state run sight figuring this was going to be a cluster f.... They said I would get and email to a link when my time to make an apt was available. (yeah right). HOWEVER!!..to my surprise I got one. (go figure). It was the Heldrich Hotel in New Brunswick. (conference room) It went very smoothly. In and out in 15 minutes plus I received a email 1-2 minutes later with my second apt. scheduled!!! Thank heavens for QR codes! This has to be a first for a state run operation here!

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Masbustelo » March 19th, 2021, 8:47 pm

I've already had the malady and haven't seen any reasoning to take the vaccine because I have antibodies. Also it seems the medecine is less invasive and equally effective.

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » March 20th, 2021, 12:35 am

Masbustelo wrote:
March 19th, 2021, 8:47 pm
I've already had the malady and haven't seen any reasoning to take the vaccine because I have antibodies. Also it seems the medecine is less invasive and equally effective.
You might want to check with your doctor. From what I've read, the vaccines provide more complete and longer lasting protection than prior infection. Also, prior infection may not protect af we'l against some of the new variants.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG

Post by Masbustelo » March 20th, 2021, 4:26 am

The medical profession is on both sides of the issue. There is no concensus. My wifes doctor said 'no way was she taking the vaccine', referring to herself. I myself used the combination of hydroxychloroquine, azitromyacin, and zinc tablets when I had it and was over the symptoms in hours. We all make decisions based on our life experience. I've done a lot of reading, trying to seek out scientific foundations of what is going on with this new disease and for now have decided to trust in available medications versus the vaccine. I see many statements being made within our culture, but often without scientific evidentiary support. I know this is an emotionally charged issue for many, and I respect an 'to each his own' position'.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » March 26th, 2021, 9:39 am

Masbustelo wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 4:26 am
... I respect an 'to each his own' position'.
I usually try to stay out of political topics on hobby forums, but I really wish more people had that traditional view of "I respect a 'to each his own' position'."

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by edslawn » March 26th, 2021, 12:54 pm

My wife has both shots and I'm scheduled for my first April 8th. I'm not in a risk group but care for a daughter who is...

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 30th, 2021, 8:55 pm

We got a first Moderna vaccine 1.5 weeks ago. They signed us up for the second shot in late April.
Our rural county in Texas has gotten just over 1,000 doses for a population of 14,000. The 1,000 does not cover the nursing home population. So we signed up for every rural county around and ended up with an hour drive to get ours. That's fine. When you live in the country you accept that there's a lot of driving involved.
We both tested positive for Covid last Thanksgiving. I had the runs as my symptom. My wife had no symptoms but since she was in contact with me, she needed a negative test to return to work. We got tested a week later and all was good. My older daughter is a teacher in Austin. She's had both doses. Her husband is in line to get his first. Younger daughter tested positive last April with no symptoms. She's a senior in college and is too preoccupied with graduation to get vaccinated. That plus she's invincible at 22.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 30th, 2021, 9:24 pm

That plus she's invincible at 22.
So did we, David, so did we think so. I read something a few weeks ago that said "if you can't realize how stupid you were at 21, then you're still stupid". True words...

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » March 30th, 2021, 10:20 pm

We were going to insist she get vaccinated when she graduated and moved home to look for a job. Turns out she got hired and is training to be a bartender, so that's what 7 years of college buys you now. In her defense she will likely be making about what I made as an engineer. Still at that job she needs the vaccine.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » March 31st, 2021, 1:07 pm

Good news! PA will open for all to be vaccinated around April 20th! So I can make the appointment hopefully for May.

So even if masked, I can actually see human beings again by midsummer. Remind me...do we fling poo at the other hairless apes or not? I forget.

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front

Post by pristinegreen75 » April 1st, 2021, 4:21 pm

My wife got her second Moderna this past Mon. I am getting my 2nd this coming Mon. Agreed....finally get to see a lot more people albeit masked up! By all means Morph start flinging :-)

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 4th, 2021, 10:00 pm

First weekend and holiday where the entire clan is now vaccinated. It felt so good to behave in a "normal" way again, but strangely "normal" felt a little like cheating.

Dchall_San_Antonio

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » April 7th, 2021, 1:34 pm

do we fling poo at the other hairless apes or not? I forget.
That's on that other forum. I seem to have shut up your PNW nemesis by asking if she had any science to prove that surfactants don't work. It didn't seem like poo at the time, but maybe that's how she took it.

We get our second shots in 2 weeks. :yahoo: I mean, :cool:

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by PW405 » April 7th, 2021, 9:08 pm

I was lucky enough to get the Moderna vaccine early.
My significant other is a member of a Native American health system. Once they had given vaccines to all members, "household members" of the tribal citizens were offered the vaccine before I was eligible in my state. Even though I'm in my 30's and don't have any health conditions, I figured it was best to get it done ASAP. I didn't want to contribute to spread, and SO happy I don't have to worry about it anymore. As of Friday, I will be 14 days passed by second dose!

Note - I HATE needles! I try my hardest to avoid EVER getting shots. (I'm very weak & fragile, guys.) Much to my surprise, the Moderna shots didn't hurt at all. In fact, I had to ask the person giving the shot "Have you done it yet?" They had. There was some injection site soreness the second and 3rd day. I noticed no adverse side effects from the first dose. About 24 hours after the second dose, I did have a bit of a "hangover" feeling. Achy, headache. I took some Tylenol, got plenty of rest, and was ~95% good the next day!

bpgreen

Post by bpgreen » April 8th, 2021, 1:27 am

Just before two weeks after my first dose, I read that there is strong protection two weeks after the first dose. So I started going back to the pool. I've been getting regular exercise and trying to stay in shape, so I'm better off than I was when I first got back into swimming (6 or 7 years ago, after a nearly 4 decade break). But I'm definitely slower than pre pandemic. I signed up for a triathlon and based my swim estimate on the times I was getting last March. Unless things change, I'm going to have to move back in the line.

My second shot is tomorrow. I'm taking Friday off just in case. If I feel ok, I've got plenty of errands to keep me busy.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by edslawn » April 8th, 2021, 7:33 am

First shot this afternoon... not looking forward to the side effects.