Potential Serrenade replacement?

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Potential Serrenade replacement?

Post by northeastlawn » May 5th, 2021, 11:33 am

Last year it was difficult to buy Serrenade in the quart sizes, and 2.5G is way more than i use in a year. You can still get the quart bottles on amazon, but they are almost $50 a bottle.

Seven Spring farms suggests this product as an alternative to the qt size.....

https://www.7springsfarm.com/cease-biof ... -1-gallon/

Unlike the 2.5G bottle I can probably go through most of the gallon over a season. Does this seem like a good alternative?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Potential Serrenade replacement?

Post by andy10917 » May 5th, 2021, 12:08 pm

As a direct replacement, yes. I'm looking at a couple of other products too, but they aren't direct replacements or same species/strain.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » May 5th, 2021, 5:52 pm

Thanks just grabbed a gallon, should be better than buying it by the quart on amazon. I can even use 6oz a week every week if I really wanted to, but I usually alternate with companion, so a gallon should last me into the fall.

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Post by oze » December 11th, 2021, 4:11 pm

Glad I ran across this thread. Nice to find a direct replacement for Serenade (same strain of bacillus subtilis: QST713). I don't know if the labeled diseases are all-inclusive, but looking at what QST713 treats, rust and powdery mildew, I think that I am wasting time and money if that is the case. So far, since I have transitioned to mainly PRG, brown spot and dollar spot are my main fungal enemies. I overseeded just the front yard last August, and applied Serenade at that time as well. All of that light watering in the hot weather left me with a pretty nasty case of brown patch. In addition to the Serenade application just before dropping the PRG seed, I had been pretty diligent with it all year. Anyway, it did nothing to prevent the brown patch.

I've just started looking, but Andy (or anyone!), have you seen a biological that specifies control of brown patch on the label? So far, all of my DuckDuckGo efforts have yielded is this: https://www.microlifefertilizer.com/pro ... ertilizer/
But the description on the label lists something mysterious as the fungal control agent: MicroGro Anti-Disease Bio-Inoculant package which will put billions of good guys in your soil, protecting your plants. I''ll see if I can find anything more specific about what the heck that is specifically and come back. Unless someone out there already knows. :hello:

oze

Post by oze » December 11th, 2021, 4:48 pm

oze wrote:
December 11th, 2021, 4:11 pm
Glad I ran across this thread. Nice to find a direct replacement for Serenade (same strain of bacillus subtilis: QST713). I don't know if the labeled diseases are all-inclusive, but looking at what QST713 treats, rust and powdery mildew, I think that I am wasting time and money if that is the case. So far, since I have transitioned to mainly PRG, brown spot and dollar spot are my main fungal enemies. I overseeded just the front yard last August, and applied Serenade at that time as well. All of that light watering in the hot weather left me with a pretty nasty case of brown patch. In addition to the Serenade application just before dropping the PRG seed, I had been pretty diligent with it all year. Anyway, it did nothing to prevent the brown patch.

I've just started looking, but Andy (or anyone!), have you seen a biological that specifies control of brown patch on the label? So far, all of my DuckDuckGo efforts have yielded is this: https://www.microlifefertilizer.com/pro ... ertilizer/
But the description on the label lists something mysterious as the fungal control agent: MicroGro Anti-Disease Bio-Inoculant package which will put billions of good guys in your soil, protecting your plants. I''ll see if I can find anything more specific about what the heck that is specifically and come back. Unless someone out there already knows. :hello:
EDIT: I do see the list of biologicals on the spec sheet https://www.microlifefertilizer.com/wp- ... -Sheet.pdf, but I also note that only St. Augustine grass is specifically called out as a turf type to be treated by this product. I've emailed the company to ask if PRG or any cool season grass types have been tested, and will post their response if/when the reply.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » December 12th, 2021, 1:32 am

Cease is basically the same thing but a different brand and different size container.

Also, I don't think Serenade is available anymore in anything smaller than 2.5 gallons from Bayer (at least currently). If anyone still has quarts left, they are likely expired.

oze

Post by oze » December 13th, 2021, 8:40 pm

Looks like Companion is the answer to my brown patch question.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » December 21st, 2021, 8:46 pm

Oze,

I started experimenting with Companion this year, alternating with Serenade during Brown Patch season. Grass showed no lingering damage from the disease. Companion is expensive, and messy, but well worth it, imho. The foliar fertilizer in it is a bonus. So is the "secret ingredient" (obviously it's molasses based on color and smell). I'm using it sparingly, only during brown patch weather.

Pirate Russ
Grass Type: Turbo, Cochise IV, FalconV and LS1200 TTTF and Award KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Pirate Russ » June 1st, 2022, 12:43 pm

In the past, i have used Natria, but that seems to be gone now too. Any reason why these are no longer available?