Who's vaccinated?

This is the place to discuss issues not related to lawn and gardening
fun4me2
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Who's vaccinated?

Post by fun4me2 » April 26th, 2021, 7:29 am

My 2nd Pfizer shot went well day 1. My shot was at 9 am. No problems all day.
However.....
2nd day I had nausea, chills, and every joint and muscle
in my body ached all day. Just used a heating pad and took some ibuprofen.
No fatigue, fever or headache.
3rd day felt back to normal.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » May 14th, 2021, 12:54 pm

Second Moderna yesterday! Now today I have joint and muscle aches, I'm exhausted but can't sleep, and I broke out in a rash across the entire left side of my chest and back.

This is actually relatively normal and, since it happened more than four hours after the injection (it was about fifteen hours afterward), it's actually my immune system going bonkers. The doctor does not want to see me unless my heart rate is elevated, breathing is difficult, and so on. Nope, just a weird-looking rash that itches a bit. Prescription--Benadryl and Ibuprofin as needed. Sleep for a day or so if I can.

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass

Post by oze » May 16th, 2021, 6:14 pm

Got both shots, but only because Mrs. Oze insisted. Fauci could tell her that the world was flat, and she would believe him. Now waiting for businesses to lift their max mandates. :banghead:

By the way, I also got the two-dose shingles vax this spring. They were waaaay worse than the covid shots.

Aether
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Level: Experienced

Post by Aether » May 18th, 2021, 7:23 am

Received 2nd Pfizer shot two weeks ago. I agree the 2nd shingles vaccine shot side effects were a lot worse than the COVID vax.

edslawn
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by edslawn » May 18th, 2021, 8:10 pm

I got my second Moderna shot last Monday and spent the last 8 days in GI hell (and very close to a bathroom at all times). It was terrible. Seem to be settling into normal now, but wouldn't with it on anyone...

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by pristinegreen75 » May 19th, 2021, 8:22 pm

Sorry to here about your reactions Ed. I got my 2nd Moderna April 9th and just dealt with a little lethargy the next day. Just goes to show you how all over these reactions are! Glad your feeling better. (keep on truckin!)

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » May 21st, 2021, 5:52 pm

My husband got the second Pfizer yesterday. A slightly sore arm, a few hours of slight tiredness. He took today off after seeing Mr. Rashy here, but feels great. We're hanging paintings that have sat around waiting for ages this evening.

My rash no longer itches, but it's still there, fading slowly, a week after the shot.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » June 2nd, 2021, 12:07 pm

I received the J&J vaccine yesterday. I had aches and chills overnight and a real bad migraine today.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 2nd, 2021, 1:44 pm

I hope you feel better! (Which you will by tomorrow)

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » June 3rd, 2021, 5:39 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
June 2nd, 2021, 1:44 pm
I hope you feel better! (Which you will by tomorrow)
Yes sir, you are absolutely correct!

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 3rd, 2021, 7:00 pm

Yeah, even Mr. Rashy here just looks like he had smallpox some months ago now.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » June 3rd, 2021, 8:44 pm

Morph, if it's not a private area, please describe the rash. location and how long it lasted. I had a rash (looked a bit like Shingles). It was a 6" or so between my chest and underarm, on the opposite side of my body from the injection site. Long gone, bit the skin is still slightly darker in that area. Showed up 8 days after my second shot.

PS: I'm not prone to rashes (at all)

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 3rd, 2021, 10:50 pm

Mine started many hours after the shot (and even if it were a private area, I'd just describe it as "the private area" :-) )

Down my abdomen and around the back, from about mid-chest down to the waist, including the back, on the side of the injection but wrapping around to include the other side across the median front and back (unlike shingles, basically, which tends to respect that line). I scratched myself bloody in my sleep, woke up, panicked, and looked it up. Normal--if rare--reaction in some people, not an issue if you have no trouble breathing or other reactions. It actually looks like chicken pox. Benadryl stopped the itching, but I had to take that for three days. The itching wasn't consistent, but tended to be worst at night.

I'd had the Shingrix injections already, so I should be immune to shingles (mostly)... My reaction to that was practically nil.

The marks are still there, slowly fading. I'm also not prone to rashes (at all) and haven't had one since...well, ever, really. Chicken pox probably was my last rash. I'm even immune to poison ivy, mostly. One, two tiny bubbles, that's it. They don't even itch.

I'm not taking anything that would increase skin reactions, although my neurologist has me on 400 mg (240 times normal dose) vitamin B-2 for migraines as it has some semi-provable neurological impact (and it's very cheap), plus other B complex vitamins where interactions and competition can cause issues with the B-2 so you want to step those up a bit. Those have skin impacts, but tend to just give you glowing skin and hair. They wouldn't do this and I've been on them for years anyway. They don't interact with any other medication and no doctor cares other than to say, "that explains why you look 30."

Dchall_San_Antonio
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Dchall_San_Antonio » October 14th, 2021, 5:20 pm

Regarding the shingles shots, my first one was covered by my insurance while I was working. I delayed getting the second one until after I stopped working and was on Medicare. Turns out Medicare does not cover the shingles shots, and the price for the second one was going to be $180. So get yours before you retire.

Regarding the covid vaccine: As I'm sure many of you have heard, Texas Governor Greg Abbott Banned COVID-19 Vaccine Mandates. The advertised vaccination rate in Texas is 51.9%. With the death rate of Abbott's supporters, the vaccination rate will increase by Darwinian attrition until we have 100% vaccinated. I certainly don't wish death upon anyone, but I wish there was a way to get my fellow Texans to wake up to modern medicine.

Regarding flu shots (new topic): I was listening to a discussion on the radio and apparently the annual flu shot is a combination of boosters for every bad version of the flu dating back to 1917. I wish someone would have explained that to me looong ago. I feel a lot better about getting it now. I thought it was only like this year's flu and someone's best guess at next year's flu.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 14th, 2021, 6:24 pm

Dchall_San_Antonio wrote:
October 14th, 2021, 5:20 pm
With the death rate of Abbott's supporters, the vaccination rate will increase by Darwinian attrition until we have 100% vaccinated. I certainly don't wish death upon anyone, but I wish there was a way to get my fellow Texans to wake up to modern medicine.
With all due respect for the anti-vaxxers (approaching zero recently), I really don't care any longer. If you can't understand the science, that's fine; delegate it to your doctor. If you don't trust your doctor, or the medical institution as a whole, then you quite simply deserve what you get. Yes, I include all refusal reasons in this.

I feel very badly for those who can't be vaccinated for one reason or another, or for the vaccinated who get seriously ill, or for those who can't receive the vacccine due to it not being approved for them. But for those who refuse the vaccine? Talk to the hand.
Regarding flu shots (new topic): I was listening to a discussion on the radio and apparently the annual flu shot is a combination of boosters for every bad version of the flu dating back to 1917. I wish someone would have explained that to me looong ago. I feel a lot better about getting it now. I thought it was only like this year's flu and someone's best guess at next year's flu.
The one I got is a quadrivalent shot; four versions of flu, not all versions back to 1917.

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biol ... 022-season

That is the listing of the shots for the season, including the strains in each shot. I got the egg-based, having no problems with it, so I got the Wisconsin strain instead of the Victoria strain.

We should note that most flu shots efficacy varies widely; fifty percent is around normal, but it varies widely. However, having had the shot (and this should sound bloody familiar), you won't get as sick, stay as sick for as long, and your probability of death is much reduced. I've had it once or twice over the years that I've had the shot, never horribly. And once when I didn't...horribly.

Get the damned flu shot. I had mine on September 17th. And reacted, just like I do to every vaccine, badly. I was down for a full day. It's better than two weeks.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » October 14th, 2021, 6:32 pm

Fwiw, the 2010 Swine Flu vaccine protects against the 1918 variant (which scientists have recreated from lung tissue of victims buried in the Alaskan permafrost).

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/ ... 5S20100615

bolson32
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by bolson32 » October 14th, 2021, 9:30 pm

turf_toes wrote:
October 14th, 2021, 6:32 pm
Fwiw, the 2010 Swine Flu vaccine protects against the 1918 variant (which scientists have recreated from lung tissue of victims buried in the Alaskan permafrost).

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/ ... 5S20100615
That's incredible!

FWIW, I got chills and a very minor fever for about 4 hours the day after after I got my 2nd shot. I also need to get in for my damn flu shot, my 10 month old twins just got theirs. I'll get in this Saturday, thanks for the reminder.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » October 14th, 2021, 10:25 pm

I've been eligible for the shingles shot for a fairly long time, but just never got around to it.

After I saw David's past earlier, I signed up for both and got them a few hours ago. When I told the pharmacist that they didn't charge me any copay, she told me to make sure I sign up for me second shot before the end of the year in case the insurance changes next year.

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » October 14th, 2021, 11:05 pm

Just a little fyi... For shingrix, or other vaccines/prescriptions, you can always get a coupon from a site like goodrx. May not save you a lot of money, but the shingrix shot here was around $180 without the coupon, with the coupon I got them for $135.

I do notice the prices have gone up sine I received mine last year, current prices are around $200 and coupon knocks it down to $150.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 15th, 2021, 5:32 pm

Mine was free, and my insurance is good but not fantastic (or was at the time; now it's pretty much 24K gold). Now, even flu shots and whatnot are free.