TTTF Overseed

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
NNJLawn
Grass Type: TTTF Mix
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

TTTF Overseed

Post by NNJLawn » August 15th, 2021, 7:16 pm

Getting ready for my annual TTTF Overseed in Morris County NJ. I figured I might try a PGR (Active Ingredient Trinexapac-ethyl - 11.3%) this year. Having never used that before was hoping for some support/tips or discouragement if warranted.

Was planning to spray the PGR @ .667 oz per 1000ft2 5 days before seed down and before scalping. Day of seed down will then scalp the lawn and drop seed.

Question is should I scalp before or after the PGR. Plan is to drop seed last week of August with a dose of Tenacity.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: TTTF Overseed

Post by turf_toes » August 15th, 2021, 7:27 pm

NNJLawn

Post by NNJLawn » August 17th, 2021, 8:18 pm

TT, thanks for the reference. Going to give the PGR a shot.

starpartyguy
Grass Type: tall fescue
Level: Some Experience

Post by starpartyguy » August 18th, 2021, 12:05 pm

I started my lawn renovation 3 years ago and before that my knowledge of lawn care began and ended with weed and feed. At that time 50% of my lawn was destroyed by grubs and drought. The seed company I used was Hancock Seed. I think I got 35 lbs. of TTTF. I also used Scott’s starter fertilizer. Worked very well.
One thing I made sure of was to remove old dead grass from years of neglect. Wanted to get seed in contact with dirt. Topped it with a thin tossing of compost. Had to rig up a pair of 4 gang water timers and 8 sprinklers to run 30 minutes/ 3 times a day. Added $150 to the water bill but it was worth it. I’m in Lancaster, Pa so the climate should be similar. Soil may be different. Best of luck.

NNJLawn

Post by NNJLawn » August 18th, 2021, 8:08 pm

starpartyguy wrote:
August 18th, 2021, 12:05 pm
I started my lawn renovation 3 years ago and before that my knowledge of lawn care began and ended with weed and feed. At that time 50% of my lawn was destroyed by grubs and drought. The seed company I used was Hancock Seed. I think I got 35 lbs. of TTTF. I also used Scott’s starter fertilizer. Worked very well.
One thing I made sure of was to remove old dead grass from years of neglect. Wanted to get seed in contact with dirt. Topped it with a thin tossing of compost. Had to rig up a pair of 4 gang water timers and 8 sprinklers to run 30 minutes/ 3 times a day. Added $150 to the water bill but it was worth it. I’m in Lancaster, Pa so the climate should be similar. Soil may be different. Best of luck.
I am on year 5 of annual fall overseeding TTTF. My setup sounds identical to yours; 8 sprinklers on two 4 way timers. I would love to grow a nice KBG lawn and skip this annual overseeding, but my 6K lawn is a fair bit too shady for KBG. I am hoping that after this year I can get away with overseeding every other year, but my lawn-vanity may compel me to overseed every year.

starpartyguy
Grass Type: tall fescue

Post by starpartyguy » August 20th, 2021, 7:34 pm

I started using RGS and Air 8 from Green County a week ago. Hurricane remnants came through and dumped a couple or 3 inches of rain. Cut it yesterday and the lawn never looked better. Tomorrow I'm putting down Humic -12 using a backpack sprayer and then watering it in with the Ortho hose end sprayer with the 002 Microgreen mix.

In a couple weeks I'll put down 2 lbs. per k of Lesco 30-0-10.

And then maybe put down 3 oz of each N-ext bio stimulant products. Want to get a good solid lawn before the winter dormancy, which is usually 2nd week of November.

flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by flyin-lowe » October 24th, 2021, 4:22 pm

It took my TTTF lawn a few years to really fill in but after that I haven't had the need to overseed.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by Green » October 24th, 2021, 11:59 pm

^ Yeah, if you don't have lawn damage and you push the Fall Nitrogen, any thin areas will thicken naturally, and thick areas won't thin out in the first place, so overseeding won't be needed.