Working Urea

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Working Urea

Post by PSU4ME » October 7th, 2022, 8:14 am

Apologies if these answers are on here somewhere but I was looking to understand how much water is needed to “adequately” water in urea? Still in semi drought conditions here so I’m trying to water the min.

Also how long, generally, does it take for the urea to run its course? I’m assuming that the weekly addition as part of the aggressive regimen is a constant build vs last weeks urea being “done”. More of a curiosity than anything.

Thanks!

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Working Urea

Post by turf_toes » October 7th, 2022, 9:03 am

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » October 10th, 2022, 2:06 am

Andy explained the weekly schedule in a recent "alternatives" thread. The takeaway was that the weekly frequency was the maximum that did not overdo it, and that it helped mask uneven coloration from any skips versus lower frequencies, or areas that accidently got fertilized heavier, and was unlikely to add up beyond 1 lb of N or so in a one week period in such overlap areas, which reduced incidence of damage versus higher and less frequent application rates.

But yes, the effects of urea tend to work longer than one week, and there are different things, like soil type, temperature, etc., that affect the duration. But two weeks is not an unreasonable ballpark number for a duration to the response from a 0.50 lb N rate application of urea. Note that it also takes about a week to show much of an effect in the first place.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » October 10th, 2022, 10:57 pm