Help with Zoysia suppression

Discuss how to and whether you should renovate your lawn
aa7483
Grass Type: Northern mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Help with Zoysia suppression

Post by aa7483 » November 1st, 2022, 7:01 am

Hey guys new member here. Hope I'm posting in the right section. You guys have a great forum and am learning a lot already.

I've lived in my home for 12 year in Hammonton, NJ In 2017, I bought the property next door. There was an old condemned house that came down. I put up a pole barn and planted a northern mix. During the summer, the lawn looks great but have been noticing more and more brown and have finally come to the realization that there is a lot of what I believe to be Zoysia, everywhere.

I know the best approach is to round uo and start from scratch, but I really cant bring myself to do that just yet. If it was a few spots here and there so be it but its all over the place.

Id like to try treating and suppressing it first. I don't care if I dont have over night results. Even if its a multi season process, its still better than demoing the whole lawn. I've read a lot on here about trying to suppress it with Tenacity and am looking for advice on some sort of schedule come spring time. When to treat, how often, what to mix it with and what fertilizer to use in conjunction. I am willing to be patient with the process. I just dont want to do nothing and let it continue to spread.

Thanks so much for the advice .

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Help with Zoysia suppression

Post by turf_toes » November 1st, 2022, 9:29 am

You’re too late in the year to do anything about Zoysia in NJ. Nothing is going to suppress zoysia that’s gone dormant.

The time to deal with it is June/July when the grass is thriving.

But I got to say, if you don’t want to kill it all off and start new, I don’t think you’re going to have much success.

Tenacity might put a dent in it. But in my experience, it’s not that effective against Zoysia. (It works against nimblewil though, so you might want to check that you aren’t actually seeing nimblewil)

My advice would be to either kill it and start new (assuming you do actually have Zoysia. Or learn to love zoysia. The Zoysia will eventually crowd out all your cool season grass, leaving you with a zoysia lawn (at least in areas of full sun)

aa7483

Post by aa7483 » November 1st, 2022, 2:57 pm

I'm not really sure. I think it's Zoysia but I guess i could be wrong. I really hate to kill off the whole yard, especially in the summer. I feel like a should at least try this method over the next season or 2 before I do anything drastic.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » November 1st, 2022, 10:11 pm

aa7483 wrote:
November 1st, 2022, 2:57 pm
I'm not really sure. I think it's Zoysia but I guess i could be wrong. I really hate to kill off the whole yard, especially in the summer. I feel like a should at least try this method over the next season or 2 before I do anything drastic.
I’m not one to push a renovation on everyone.

But, assuming you really have zoysia, you’re fighting a losing battle in a cool season lawn. There is no cool-season grass that will outcompete it.

The chemical solutions, outside of a non-selective herbicide like roundup are either extremely expensive and or ineffective against zoysia.

Even the roundup route will require weeks of killing the grass, then fallowing followed by more applications of roundup. It’s not easy.

aa7483

Post by aa7483 » November 2nd, 2022, 7:28 am

I guess my first step would be to properly identify it.

aa7483

Post by aa7483 » November 8th, 2022, 10:55 pm

I uploaded some photos into an app and it was identified as Bermuda not Zoysia.