Grass Type Identification

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
blizzisu
Grass Type: Award, Bewitched, Moonlight SLT, Prosperity. DOB: 8/11/12
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Grass Type Identification

Post by blizzisu » April 22nd, 2010, 7:41 pm

I would like some help in identifying what type(s) of grass my back yard consists of, but first here is a the history of my backyard.

I bought the house new in April of 2007. There was nothing but dirt in the back of the house at that time. We negotiated with our builder to put sod in the back yard at the time of purchase. At that time I didn't have the knowledge or forsight to ask for a specific type and cultivar of sod. Therefore, I have no idea what grass types and varieties it consisted of. Despite my best attempts at watering the sod, it never really took off the first year. By the middle of June in the second year, it was evident that it needed some help. This is when I learned about elite KBG cultivars. At that point I stopped watering the backyard for the rest of the summer. By the time the middle of August rolled around, the backyard was fully dormant / dead. I then rented a dethatched and ripped up as much grass as I could but running it at a very deep setting. After that, I mowed at the lowest setting with a bagger. Finally I slit seeded the KBG cultivars Midnight II, Bedazzled, Freedom III, and NuDensity at the reccomendation of Seedsuperstore. By June of the next year, the lawn looked a million times better and has only gotten better looking each of the two following years as I learned more, switched to organics, and started applying more iron.

Now that you have the history, here is my question. In the pictures below you can see that the lawn is "lumpy". Could there be rye grass or fine fescue still alive from the original sod, or does it appear that the mixture of KBG cultivars I seeded with don't grow at an even rate? I realize that this might be impossible to determine with pictures, but I can take close ups if needed.

Album Link (Larger Pictures)

eriocaulon
Grass Type: KBG(midnight/moonlight), TTTF (summerlawn), RSBG (Winterplex, SabreIII)

Re: Grass Type Identification

Post by eriocaulon » April 22nd, 2010, 8:01 pm

Looks FANTASTIC. I would say that looks very uniform in texture so I think almost all of that is kbg. Especially this early in the season, you could have very different growth rates for just kbg. Of course, PRG and other grasses tend to grow much faster so would be much more conspicuous in your lawn. Pretty sweet...nice job!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 22nd, 2010, 8:02 pm

It looks a tiny bit bunchy, but I see that characteristic blueness everywhere that screams KBG to me. I'm betting on the different rates of growth theory. A real close-up of a bunchy spot would make ID'ing it easier.

Dude, I think you're looking for trouble where there is none, though. We'll drop by your house with some Poa and give you something to worry about. We'll add some sedge for variety.

Beautiful!!

blizzisu

Post by blizzisu » April 22nd, 2010, 8:04 pm

Thanks for the compliments. I guess I should be a little easier on myself and my lawn. I am probably hurting its' feelings. :rotfl: I just wish it was a bit darker, but a pH of 7.5 makes that difficult.

Close up pictures to come in a minute or two.

Wally
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by Wally » April 22nd, 2010, 8:07 pm

That lawn is great. I wouldn't change a thing.

blizzisu

Post by blizzisu » April 22nd, 2010, 8:13 pm

Here are the close-ups. Also, I haven't mowed in 5 days. That is contributing to the "clumpiness".

Album Link (Larger Pictures)

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » April 22nd, 2010, 8:20 pm

It looks like mine right now--a little uneven yet. The year is yet young, so my Midnight II is still being a touch poky and doesn't grow at the same speed.

Post cut, it looks great. Three days later, a bit uneven in those characteristic clumps (and I definitely have zero rye and fescue). By May it tends to even out.

Might I suggest that perhaps your blades could use a bit of a sharpening...?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » April 22nd, 2010, 8:24 pm

I see all KBG.

blizzisu

Post by blizzisu » April 22nd, 2010, 8:25 pm

The blade is sharp, but it has seen its better days and has lots of nicks in it after three seasons of mowing. A new one is sitting all nice and shiny in the garage ready to be used when I mow this weekend. Do you have to sharpen a brand new blade? This one is a Toro blade that has a black coating on it. The directions do not mention anything about sharpening before use.

CTShoreGuy
Grass Type: Elite TTTF & KBG

Post by CTShoreGuy » April 22nd, 2010, 8:25 pm

My advise is to nuke it and start from scratch, that is one horrible looking lawn, you should be ashamed :club:

J/K that really looks great. Like Andy said you may be looking fro trouble, and there ain't none!

bravo :good:

blizzisu

Post by blizzisu » April 22nd, 2010, 8:28 pm

I don't think I'll ever nuke it, but when / if I build a new home down the road, I will make a trip up to the NTEP trial field location that is about 20 miles away from me. I would love to pick out two or three cultivars that have very similar blade widths. The cultivars I have vary greatly in width. Maybe this isn't possible if you mix a midnight type, america type, and agressive type?

jglongisland
Grass Type: KBG

Post by jglongisland » April 22nd, 2010, 8:47 pm

I have pretty much the same mix in my front lawn from SSS and its a bit lumpy now as well. I agree that the Midnight is probably still getting its groove.

I think there might be a touch of fine fescue in there, but a minimal amount. I have fine fescue in the shade by my front door and its a solid 1-2 inches higher than the KBG.

I'm going to cut tomorrow.

GaryCinChicago

Post by GaryCinChicago » April 22nd, 2010, 8:48 pm

Blizz:

If you had fescue or rye mixed in, 5 days after mowing it wouldn't look like that. Honestly, you're being a little tough on that pretty looking turf.

There are two ways to obtain perfectly even growth.

A.) have a monostand of ONE cultivar. Or ...

B.) don't wait five days to mow! Image

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » April 22nd, 2010, 8:48 pm

That is one nice looking lawn!

tiemco
Grass Type: TTTF (Firecracker LS, Faith, Cochise IV, 3rd Millenium SRP) front. Leaves covering whatever was left of supina and triv in back (fallowing).

Post by tiemco » April 22nd, 2010, 10:39 pm

Well that only adds to my KBG envy (DAMN SHADE!). Looks great. I think most lawns get a bit uneven looking early in the season, and as you get closer to mowing day.

Ohio2112

Post by Ohio2112 » April 23rd, 2010, 8:37 pm

Definitely another vote for going organic. Looks great!!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image