Ego 21" Mower Cutting Problem

The place for discussions about mowers, stripers, edgers, weeders, etc.
GregGeis
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Ego 21" Mower Cutting Problem

Post by GregGeis » June 13th, 2016, 7:06 pm

I picked up a new Ego mower this year and I almost love it with one big exception. It is butchering my Bermuda. I have always used a rotary mower but this is also the first year I am cutting low. I'm not even cutting it that low, 2nd to lowest setting ( haven't measured, I'm guessing around 2"). But this thing is cutting some wicked circles every time. Even when I cut a few days after, but it was just as bad and maybe even worse. I checked the blade and it is sharp and tight without any slop in the motor mount. What level of circles is normal for a good rotary mower?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

GregGeis

Re: Ego 21" Mower Cutting Problem

Post by GregGeis » June 13th, 2016, 11:02 pm

My biggest complaint with the mower is that it continuously throttles up and down depending on load. The problem is it can only throttle up for what it already hit. So I come off the pavement or a turn and its low power. Then I hit a thicker patch and it bogs down, gives some more juice, hits another patch bogs and then puts the power down, meanwhile I've walked 10'. I wince each time it bogs because I can almost feel it digging in. They have a light and thin blade presumably so it is more responsive to throttle inputs, but I think that when it bogs down it is pulling and flexing the blade down more than a conventional blade that keeps more momentum and is constant full throttle.
It's hard to tell for sure if the bogs make the deep circles or if I'm just assuming that. They are bad enough to last until my next mowing for a whole new crop of them. I'm considering returning it and going to an HRX.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » June 14th, 2016, 8:58 pm

I'm guessing either the yard is uneven and causing scalping with the rotary. Whatever the issue, don't replace it with a GreenWorks 80V Pro mower. It may be even worse, as there is an issue with the blade mounting flange on those or lack thereof.

kevreh
Grass Type: Front Yard: 2013 TTTF reno (faith, cochise, turbo, ls1200), Back: 2013 KBG reno (bewitched, midnight, prosperity)

Post by kevreh » June 16th, 2016, 8:24 pm

I have the ego and love it. Time to sell the toro. I have tttf and have the same problem when I try to cut too much, like 40% or more. I agree with your theory, that the thinner blade flexes when bogged down. Only solution is to not cut soo much, or see if you can use a thicker blade.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Tony alony

Post by Tony alony » June 16th, 2016, 9:19 pm

LoneRanger wrote:I'm guessing either the yard is uneven and causing scalping with the rotary. Whatever the issue, don't replace it with a GreenWorks 80V Pro mower. It may be even worse, as there is an issue with the blade mounting flange on those or lack thereof.
+1 LoneRanger A lawnmower shouldn't flex the blade under variable loads. It may slow down however, to compensate for heavier workloads, so as not to overload the motor beyound its duty cycle. To have a lawnmower that's capable of conserving the integrity of the mower's motor is way beyond the purpose of a simple electric machine. There are safeguards in place to protect overloading, however. Are you sure it's scalping on Level Ground?

Southernguy311
Grass Type: Platinum TE Paspalum up front and Bermuda in the rear

Post by Southernguy311 » June 18th, 2016, 12:34 am

Despite what others may have said, Electric or battery powered mowers have no business cutting Bermuda. You are learning this the hard way.

To get around this I would recommend mowing more often or purchasing a reel mower.

With all the raves about reels you've seen with Bermuda users on this site, you have to be intrigued, right? A reel is the only way you are ever going to see the full potential of your lawn.

GregGeis

Post by GregGeis » June 20th, 2016, 11:56 am

I definitely don't have a perfectly level yard, although I don't think that's the problem. The circles don't seem to be associated with high spots or particularly bumpy sections, that's the smoothest part of my yard. The mower also isn't loaded up, the biggest problem I think is when it is not loaded enough so it's running on low power trimming the little top blades, then it hits a little thicker section that might require 50% power rather than 25% and it bogs it down. Whenever the mower is kicked up to full power, I love it and it really gets it going. I really wish you could just modify the software to keep it a level above what it wants to right now, I'm sure it's tip speed regulated. Nice thing about gas is I can set the engine speed.

I raised it another notch and let me grass grow another level and it eliminated the problem and cut a nice even surface the whole time. Not really a solution just an observation.

I've definitely considered a reel mower, I just wasnt looking forward to the extra time it would take it from a good cut to a great cut. One guy down the street has a Fiskars manual reel Id really like to try out once just to see get a feel for what it looks like and how long it takes. One thing I love about the Ego is how fast it is. I can cut super fast when the grass is consistent and not bogging and it cuts well, it is really light and maneuverable and I've never overloaded it after it decides to ramp up to full power. It cut down my low times by about 30% from my previous gas self propelled (Craftsman but still). I do love the speed and convenience. I'm not looking for a perfect cut, just a not crappy cut while knocking it out fast. Unfortunately I haven't broken out of the not crappy threshold consistently. I'm going to pay some more attention to the leveling and see if that helps. I have another 60 days or so to decide if I want to take it back.