Bewitched doesn't like Peat Moss topdressing?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
llO0DQLE
Grass Type: KBG and Creeping Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Bewitched doesn't like Peat Moss topdressing?

Post by llO0DQLE » July 5th, 2017, 1:25 pm

I noticed something interesting after growing some KBG pots. It seems that Bewitched doesn't like Peat Moss topdressing dressing, at least in my very small sample size right now. I realize that a lot of people have renovated with Bewitched monostands and probably topdressed with peat moss and came out fine. But I noticed significantly less germination in my Bewitched pots topdressed with peat moss.

Here's my first batch of pots all topdressed with peat moss and Bewitched had significantly less germination than the other cultivars.

I started 3 more pots after due to this Bewitched pot not germinating well and decided to try different topdressing. Actually one pot was not topdressed and has the best germination. 2nd best was topdressed with soil and the one germinating poorly was topdressed with peat moss.

Right (bare soil), Middle (soil top dressing), Left (Peat Moss)

One factor is that my peat moss is 2 years old. I wonder if that's why. But then how come all the other cultivars germinated so much better while using the same peat moss? The other factor is that the Bewitched seed is from 2016 crop. The other cultivars were purchased in 2015 and we're likely from 2014 crop. But that should be in Bewitched's favor.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Bewitched doesn't like Peat Moss topdressing?

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 5th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Hmm. I wonder if there is some other uncontrolled variable at work here?

For what it's worth, I am a no-peat-moss renovator, as I instead rely on 5x a day watering from the irrigation system during renovations.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 5th, 2017, 2:12 pm

I'm wondering too but the variables/factors I can think of are what I mentioned above. They are all planted in the same coir pots, same bagged soil, same watering, same light exposure, same fertilization which was not done at seeding for the first batch, MAP and MOP at seeding for the second batch for some P and K, N is just incidental.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 6th, 2017, 9:04 am

Did the peat moss keep it too wet? Perhaps the watering for the "naked" seed was adequate but too much for the top-dressed pots?

I've renovated to a bewitched monostand using peat moss topdressing with good results. I don't think it's the peat moss.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 6th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Hmm.. possible but I I didn't put on too thick a topdressing and it didn't feel too wet. Just moist. I only bottom watered with the occasional misting on top when it's hot.

Leakytires
Grass Type: Bluegrass/Rye

Post by Leakytires » July 6th, 2017, 6:33 pm

I would just like to remind you that if you are letting water stand in that container, you might actually, but unknowingly, be the neighborhood mosquito breeder.

edenl01
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by edenl01 » July 6th, 2017, 6:59 pm

All faucet water? Fwiw I've never had good luck growing pots of grass.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 6th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Leakytires wrote:
July 6th, 2017, 6:33 pm
I would just like to remind you that if you are letting water stand in that container, you might actually, but unknowingly, be the neighborhood mosquito breeder.
With all the ponds we have in the neighborhood I'm the smallest breeder if I was one. I try to let it dry out before I top it up but it is what it is. Now if we can back to the topic at hand...

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 6th, 2017, 7:16 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
July 6th, 2017, 9:04 am
Did the peat moss keep it too wet? Perhaps the watering for the "naked" seed was adequate but too much for the top-dressed pots?

I've renovated to a bewitched monostand using peat moss topdressing with good results. I don't think it's the peat moss.
Also, doesn't explain why only Bewitched is affected...

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 6th, 2017, 7:19 pm

edenl01 wrote:
July 6th, 2017, 6:59 pm
All faucet water? Fwiw I've never had good luck growing pots of grass.
Umm, yes... how could I put different water in the same tray to only affect one pot?

Leakytires
Grass Type: Bluegrass/Rye

Post by Leakytires » July 7th, 2017, 7:48 am

If those pots are sitting in water most of the time the soil could become overly saturated and not allow enough oxygen or air into the soil for good plant growth. Too much water can also cause seed rot and dampening off issues (fungal) of witch Bewitched may be more susceptible than the other two varieties and as you know, peat moss will hold more water on the surface of the soil.

lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » July 7th, 2017, 8:02 am

When i grew my pots this year, i also tried mixing a few variables.

In one test, I used different forms of top dressings; compost, top soil, and no top dressing. Oddly, all the pots that i top dressed had the poorest germination rate...

My case is a bit different though since i used Scotts sun/shade mix for all my pots (not different cultivars as in your case). I also did an entirely outdoor grow.

A bit of a left field addition to the discussion, but i thought i'd share :)

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 7th, 2017, 11:18 am

Leakytires wrote:
July 7th, 2017, 7:48 am
If those pots are sitting in water most of the time the soil could become overly saturated and not allow enough oxygen or air into the soil for good plant growth. Too much water can also cause seed rot and dampening off issues (fungal) of witch Bewitched may be more susceptible than the other two varieties and as you know, peat moss will hold more water on the surface of the soil.
This is what I was thinking too.. seed rot. It really didn't feel too wet but maybe, like you said, Bewitched is more susceptible. I have four other cultivars - Midnight, Prosperity, Blueberry and Sudden Impact although Sudden Impact is in a blend. All other pots are doing well.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 7th, 2017, 11:24 am

lVlrBoJang1es wrote:
July 7th, 2017, 8:02 am
When i grew my pots this year, i also tried mixing a few variables.

In one test, I used different forms of top dressings; compost, top soil, and no top dressing. Oddly, all the pots that i top dressed had the poorest germination rate...

My case is a bit different though since i used Scotts sun/shade mix for all my pots (not different cultivars as in your case). I also did an entirely outdoor grow.

A bit of a left field addition to the discussion, but i thought i'd share :)
Well your experience bolsters Leaky's hypothesis that it could be too much moisture. It's probably because of bottom watering keeping it pretty moist/wet depending on how long the water sits. Next time I grow pots maybe topdressing won't be needed and I'll have to be more regimented about the watering making sure it doesn't sit too long and letting the water completely get absorbed before topping up.

Zareth
Grass Type: Renovating to Midnight KBG and LS1200 Tall fescue

Post by Zareth » July 8th, 2017, 2:12 am

My guess is that it may have something to do with Bewitched's increased shade tolerance..
A total long shot but I bet something in the genetics is also causing decreased germination with less light.

IF you don't mind.. would you take a ziplock bag and two identically damp paper towels and sprinkle 10 seeds exactly on each.. fold the paper towel over and seal inside the ziplock bag and store one in a dark drawer and the other near a window or something...
Obviously temperature variables are going to be at play here but I would not be surprised if we saw a big difference in germination.
some seeds only germinate in the shade, others only with sunlight..
Again I don't know but I wonder if its genetic and somehow related to bewitched being one of the best KBG cultivars for shade....

Of course if you do this experiment check germination at certain intervals.. compare the number of seeds which have sprouted at what day and then also a final count well beyond the reasonable time limit to determine if germination was still equal but just delayed..

GeorgiaDad
Grass Type: Frontyard: Award, NuChicago, Midnight. kbg Backyard: Mutt Fescue with a little Midnight kbg thrown in.

Post by GeorgiaDad » July 8th, 2017, 7:38 am

When it comes to pots, I never top dress. I just push the seeds into the soil and bottom water. Never had a problem doing it that way.

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 8th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Zareth, you may have something here with regards to light. However I don't think seeds will germinate in a dark drawer as they need light to germinate. Unless you or anybody else has done it.

If I can think of a set up to make light the variable then I'll do a test. I can't do the paper towel thing inside the house. One toddler 3 cats and a disapproving wife will make it hell for me.

Zareth
Grass Type: Renovating to Midnight KBG and LS1200 Tall fescue

Post by Zareth » July 15th, 2017, 8:38 pm

llO0DQLE wrote:
July 8th, 2017, 12:37 pm
Zareth, you may have something here with regards to light. However I don't think seeds will germinate in a dark drawer as they need light to germinate. Unless you or anybody else has done it.

If I can think of a set up to make light the variable then I'll do a test. I can't do the paper towel thing inside the house. One toddler 3 cats and a disapproving wife will make it hell for me.
In college we did a test with lettuce and some other seeds and some germinated better in the dark, grass probably isn't that type seed though

llO0DQLE

Post by llO0DQLE » July 15th, 2017, 11:22 pm

From what I've read grass seed needs light.