How Organic in the Garden are you

This is the place to discuss Organic lawncare.
mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG/FF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

How Organic in the Garden are you

Post by mobiledynamics » September 9th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Not really lawncare, but as I hesitate doing this (shrub row has mites) and I'm about to do a soil drench of a Imidacloprid based products.

GEEZ, just reading the label on what it prevents, makes me think I should have the CDC on standby.
I really don't want to put this ~chem~ in the soil, but this row of shrubs has taken years to get it to the size it is (literally grows a whopping 3-4 inches per year max).

Anyhow, sees like there are some like minded folks on the board that don't try to kill the biology or bees

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: How Organic in the Garden are you

Post by TimmyG » September 9th, 2019, 11:32 pm

Apologies for saying this, but your post make my head spin. Let's get to the point. Are you asking the question posed in your post title (while lacking the necessary question mark)? Are you just ranting? Are you asking for alternative recommendations for ridding mites from shrubs? Are you asking for assurance that imidacloprid is okay to use?

Imidacloprid has its place and if used appropriately, the bees should be fine. The important detail is that you should never ever apply imidacloprid to anything that is blooming or that will bloom for months to come (it's systemic when absorbed via the roots). I've had issues with lace bugs sucking the life out of rhododendrons and pieris that were in a bit too much sun. I applied imidacloprid via soil drench for a few years until I got the the lace bug population under control. The shrubs are now also in more shade and less attractive to lace bugs.

But I always waited until the shrubs were completely done with blooming before applying the imidacloprid.

Another issue with applying imidacloprid via soil drench is the expense. Yikes! If I were trying to control mites, I think I would first try neem oil, which is an organic solution.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » September 10th, 2019, 11:35 pm

I compost everything that I trust not to propagate in the compost (no bindweed or hops gift example)

But I'll use any rodenticides I find, urea is fine. So is roundup.

Il use insecticidal soaps first, but not exclusively. But I try ro minimize yves effect on bees.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » September 12th, 2019, 10:55 am

I grow roses and haven't had luck unless I do some synthetic feedings, insecticides, and fungicides every year. The beetles and fungal pressures are real.

I use a lot of milo, and top dress with compost and peat moss.

I remove sawfly larvae with my fingers.