slit seeder

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
s1mpl3k1d
Grass Type: KGB Emblem, Midnight II entire lawn
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

slit seeder

Post by s1mpl3k1d » July 1st, 2009, 7:34 pm

What can you say about the slit seeder at Home Depot? HD is the only place I know I can rent it. Are they hard to use? Can it be set at 1.5lbs, 3lbs, etc?

Thanks!

Dave
Grass Type: Front: Blue Velvet, Blueberry and Boutique. Rear lawn: NOT elite so who cares.

Re: slit seeder

Post by Dave » July 1st, 2009, 8:13 pm

The one I rented at HD was crap. It is basically a dethatcher with a seed hopper on the front. I could not get the machine to really cut proper slits and even if it did the seeds just fall out of the hopper and are not channeled into the slits. I also tried adjusting the hopper for different amounts of seed to drop but it would just not work properly. Each end was just a little open but the middle was a lot open. If I closed it abit then bothe ends were closed.

This was a new machine with only about 20 hours on it. In the end I put the seed in my drop spreader and used the slit seeder as a dethatcher and tried to put some slits in the ground before dropping the seeds with my drop spreader.

s1mpl3k1d

Post by s1mpl3k1d » July 1st, 2009, 8:29 pm

I also remember Gary just used his drop spreader. I'm so worried that strong rain might just wash the seeds away.

Does someone have a pic of an already killed lawn and scalped? It will help me how I should do it.

Thanks!

kingofgreen
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by kingofgreen » July 1st, 2009, 8:52 pm

I used a Scotts Edgeguard to spread my seed then top dressed with peat moss . Last year I survived a few hurricane type storms during the early renovation stage and made out fine.

To calculate lbs/persqft, I found a bag of Scotts KBG at my local HD and used there settings for a newly seeded lawn. Again worked out fine.

I have some pictures showing how my lawn looked RU`d and scalped.
Good luck

http://aroundtheyard.com/northern/kog-lawn- ... -t704.html

eriocaulon
Grass Type: KBG(midnight/moonlight), TTTF (summerlawn), RSBG (Winterplex, SabreIII)

Post by eriocaulon » July 1st, 2009, 9:12 pm

Just use the slit seeder to do the soil prep. The rental units are notorious for not being calibrated. I would recommend drop/broadcast spreading afterwards.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » July 1st, 2009, 9:54 pm

I used the home depot Power Seeder (They don't rent slit seeders there). Here's my experience. If you lightly water your lawn the night before you seed with it, it will work fine. But if your ground is dry and hard (as mine was before watering), the little tongs on the front of the machine won't even dent the soil.

My brother-in-law five doors up from me used it to seed his yard on the day of my renovation. (he didn't water the night before hand, I did).

Watching him use it was a lesson in futility. It didn't even scratch the surface of the soil. On my yard though, it made nice little grooves. It was especially effective pulling it backward across the yard before I seeded. It really created some nice groove. Then I just used it in a forward fashion with the seed in the bin and it worked very nicely.

I suggest using a roller after you've seeded (rents for $20 for the day at HD).

All in all, I'd use it again. But knowing that you need to water before hand makes all the difference. (Please note I indicated you need to water a "little." If your ground is saturated, it will just be a mess and you won't be able to really use it then either.)

skizot
Grass Type: Defiance XRE TTTF

Post by skizot » July 2nd, 2009, 10:09 am

Make sure you criss-cross at a 45* angle. For example, go N to S (and S to N) across the entire lawn, and then go NW to SE (and SE to NW) across the entire lawn. After you've done that, use a regular broadcast/drop spreader to spread the seed. Then use a drum-type roller filled with about 25% water to press the seeds into the ground. I did this last fall at my folk's house and got pretty good results.

MorpheusPA
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 2nd, 2009, 10:43 am

I spread my seeds after dethatching as well. The machine I used didn't have a hopper, but since I borrowed it free I can't complain.

Definitely criss-cross, and try never to go straight down a hill. I tried to keep the first cut parallel to the grade, with the cross-cuts running somewhat up/down grade. Spread the seed, topdress if you like, and then roll it.

Mine survived multiple heavy thunderstorms with no issues and came in very evenly.

s1mpl3k1d

Post by s1mpl3k1d » July 2nd, 2009, 5:23 pm

so the slit seeder will just be used to cut slits and not drop seeds?

s1mpl3k1d

Post by s1mpl3k1d » July 2nd, 2009, 5:28 pm

hey KOG, I read your link. What type of fertilizer do we put down at the same time as our seeds?

kingofgreen

Post by kingofgreen » July 2nd, 2009, 9:55 pm

s1mpl3k1d wrote:hey KOG, I read your link. What type of fertilizer do we put down at the same time as our seeds?

I used Scotts starter fertilizer with crabgrass preventer when the seed were dropped.Then I feed the lawn bi weekly.With in 60 days I dropped another application of Scotts Starter with CG preventer, 2 weeks later a application of 46-0-0 (1/2lb per 1Ksqft) and 2 weeks after that another 1/2lb per 1Ksqft of urea.